My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Sunday, December 5, 2010

To the searchlights

        Daylight had come as we made our way down the foothills, towards the outer limits of the town.  The roads were barricaded, therefore inaccessible by the bus.  "Well, looks like were going in on foot. I'm not taking the bus through that barricade." Rich points to the concrete barriers placed in the road.  "Well, I'm running low on ammunition, so I'm going in.  Anyone else care to tag along?"  I pick up my shotgun, heading to the door.  Waiting for someone to stand up, I linger in the bus.  "What, no takers?"  I was disappointed, not to mention a bit upset.  I mean, it was like I was being thrown to the wolves.  Stepping off the bus I shout back to the group.  "Well, Ill be back by sunset.  If not, well Id rather not think about that."  Leaving the bus, I hop over the barricade, but I look back one more time.  Deep down I feel like I may never come back.  I wave to them before heading into the city.
      Making my way deeper into the city, I feel I'm not alone.  A few streets ahead I hear a trash can fall over, the sound echoing between the buildings.  Looking for cover, I spot a convenience  mart.  I squat in the cover of shadow, waiting for the undead to shamble blindly towards the source of the disturbance.  Waiting for what seems like hours I finally step back into the street.  "Not a one came out, that's odd.  But  I'm not going to complain."  Starting back down the street, I try to remember which direction the searchlights were coming from.  I head down a side street hoping to find a fire exit to climb up, to get a view of the town.  Finding a ladder was just as good, I climb up to the roof.  Looking around, I see the mountains we had come from and on the other side I see a storm heading this way.  "Ive got some time before the storm hits, I need to find shelter."  Making my way back to the streets below I hear something down the alley.  Once my feet hit solid ground I free my pistol from its holster.  Silently I make my way to the source of the noise, only to find nothing.  I look around rather puzzled.  "Nothing doesn't make noises.  Something is out there..." I begin to talk out loud.  Maybe someone is following me, or someone from the bus manned up and followed me out here?  Who knows.  On edge, I make my way further into the outdoor labyrinth, hoping to find a gun store along the way.
      Turn after turn, I come to what appears to be down town.  A park in the middle of the town is the site of a once held safe zone.  Barbed wire surrounds the gates, shredded human tissue covers the razors.  Fires gently roar in the park, and something catches my eye.  "Is that...is is!  A military Humvee!"  Excited to see it, I head towards the fence.  Where there is military equipment, there is bound to be ammunition, or hopefully better guns.  Stopping at the razor wire, I begin to think about how I'm going to get in without shredding myself to bits.  Looking around there is a car parked on the side of the road, and above that is a tree branch.  "Bingo."  Making my way to the car, I strap everything down tight.  I didn't want to drop anything important.  Everything in check, I jump on the hood of the car.  Bad idea.  The car alarm goes off, scaring the shit out of me.  I scramble to the roof of the car, hoping I could make it in the tree and out of sight before they showed up.  Climbing higher in the tree I sit and wait, another bad idea.  Slowly but surely they come crawling out of every shadow and open building in sight.  "Fuck!  I need to get out of here, but there's nowhere to run.  Think damn it!"  I look around, hoping there was some way I could find higher ground, but I am stuck for the time being.  The sound of the alarm is overwhelming, but at least it drowns out the moaning of so many undead below me.   Perched above the ghouls, I wait.  For what, I haven't figured that out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment