My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Encounter

       I awake to the sound of rain gently falling on the roof above me.  As I slowly come to, I listen below me for any sounds of shuffling.  Hearing nothing, my curiosity gets the best of me.  Poking my head from the attic I see nothing shambling in the hallway below me.   I cover the entrance back up and gather all of my equipment.    As I head back to the exit I hear something on one of the lower floors shatter.  "sounds like company" I think out loud.  Its the first time I say anything in almost a day, my voice sounding different than I last remember.  It used to be more lively, now robotic.  Opening the hatch for the last time, I drop to the floor below, a loud thud announcing my presence to my guests below.  Handgun drawn, I sneak down the hallway, towards the stairs.  The layout of the house was remarkably similar to my old house, so for the most part I felt safe.  So safe in fact, I think about making a permanent home in the attic, but I have come too far to quit now.  A whimper below broke my train of thought, "The dead don't whimper, somebody is down there..."  My toneless voice hid the bit of hope I had of finding a fellow survivor, another human.  Standing at the top of the stairs I call out, not wanting to surprise a panicked person.  "Hey, is anyone down there?"   No response, but no moan. There was something down there, again I call out to the source of the noise.  "I'm coming down there, its okay..."  Okay was the worst word used to describe this situation thinking about it as I came down the stairs.
     The floor below was pitch black, reaching for my flashlight, I use one hand to train the beam of light on the landing, my other hand aiming the handgun towards the center of the beam.  Coming to the landing, I sweep both sides of the hall.  The light falls on the corpse of one of the undead, a heavy looking vase had been smashed over its head, "That would be the smashing sound I heard earlier."  Another whimper, coming from the door at the end of the hallway, "Hello?  Are you alright?"  Even now my voice is still flat, no joy, just another encounter in a series of dark and depressing events.  I knock on the door, the whimper grows to sobbing, whoever it was, they were scared for their life, opening the door I call out.  "Its alright, I'm not one of them, its safe."  The bedroom seemed empty at first glance, but the sound was coming from the other side of the bed.  To avoid scaring the person further, I slowly make my way to the other side of the bed, "Are you alright?"  Seeing the child made my heart drop.  No more than ten, he was all alone.  And by the looks of it, he had been alone for some time.  Quickly I put my gun away to extend my hand towards him.  Too petrified to move, he just stares at my hand.  "Poor kid, you must be terrified, here take this."  Reaching in my bag, I pull out a bottle of water and hand it to him.  "Its okay, take it.  You look thirsty."  It takes the boy a few minutes, but slowly he reaches for the water, but quickly chugs the bottle.  The child's eyes are wild, darting towards the doors and window, ready to flee at a moments notice.  I sit there with a million questions for him, but cant speak at all.  So many people have died, and here this child is, perfectly fine minus possible malnutrition.   Nothing is said for what seems like hours, all I could do is watch.  Suddenly several fists came crashing down on the front door, the child jumps back to the wall.  "Hey, we need to be quiet, come with me.  I can get you out of here!"  Whispering to keep as silent as possible, although there was no point.  they knew we were here.  Finally the child speaks, "They're back!"  Too fast for me, I try to grab his arm, but I miss.  Out the door and down the hall before I could get up.  "Well, I know how he stayed alive for so long."  Getting up, I hear the the hinges breaking on the front door, they would be in the house any minute.  Time to get out of here.  Making my way to the hallway the door caves in.  Several undead falling on top of the door was my cue to get the fuck out of there.  Running to the opposite side of the hall, I crash into the unopened door the child had fled through.  Garage!  The walls were covered in tools, many of which would be handy.  Behind me I can hear the undead falling down the stairs, and in an instant I snatch the handle for the door and slam it shut.  If I'm gonna get out of here, it needs to be fast.
        Running out of time, I drop to my knees, searching the undercarriage of the only car in the room.  Nothing, panicking, I can hear those things starting to beat on the door.  Looking in the car, I see the keys sitting in the ignition, but the door is locked.  The door behind me starts to splinter, a rotting hand bursts through the door.  Taking a hint from my pursuers, I take my handgun and smash the drivers side of the door. Tossing my bag in the passengers seat, I start the car, thanking whatever Deity I thought was watching over me.  Starting the engine right as the door finally fell in two, reverse full speed through the garage door.  As I speed out of the neighborhood, I cant help but think about the child I am leaving behind.  "Some people just don't want to be saved..."

No comments:

Post a Comment