My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Forlorn journey

      I creep into the clothing store situated on the end of the strip mall.  The crunching of broken glass under my feet echoes in the building.  Shotgun aimed ahead of me, I step into the shadows and look for anything useful that was within  reach of the sunlight from the outside.  Luckily for me the men's section was near the shattered display windows, so I headed for the slightly lit area with the men's jeans and jackets.  Making my way out with several extra changes of clothes I stuff them into my already full backpack.  Looking around I see several of the undead slouching in the parking lots, blindly bumping into the cars that littered the parking lot.  I crouch down and try to rearrange my bag to hold my recent findings when suddenly there was a noise of powdered glass being drug across the concrete.  Turning around, gun in hand I see a crawler slowly dragging its mangled body towards me.  Its mouth opens, but no sound is made.  Its throat had been torn out, leaving the ghoul mute. Close call, I think as I send the stock crashing into its decaying skull.  The wet thud of its head caving between my gun and the solid ground is barely heard, I scrape the bits of gore off my gun as I look around the next place to raid.  Seeing a hardware store, I head towards the double doors.
     The hardware store had seen its fair share of looting, the floor was covered in loose nails and washers.  the sound of metal skidding across the tile echoes loudly in the building.  I crouch down and hope I am alone in here.  Looking at the check lane I see something I thought would have been stolen right away.  I see several sets of batteries partially hidden by gum and other last minute items you would see while waiting in line.  Scooping up the batteries, I'm sure they could come in useful in the future.  Taking my time I head down each of the aisles, the skylights in the store providing plenty of light so long as the sun was up.  After walking up and down every aisle in the store I find a flashlight.  Using the batteries I had found at first I put them in the flashlight, making a more thorough sweep of the store, this time unearthing a crowbar from under one of the shelves.  Feeling rather accomplished I leave the store, heading back into the parking lot but I stop dead in my tracks.  The sound of a familiar diesel engine, was roaring and getting louder.  Running to the car I crouch, peeking over the trunk.   I see the bus about a quarter of a mile ahead, continuing down the main road it had stopped on to let me out.  I couldn't help but laugh, I mean I did plan on leaving them and continuing on my own.  But I never expected THEM to leave me.  I wanted to chase after them, but this made my decision much easier.  Instead I head in the opposite direction, towards what looked to be a subdivision.
         After searching for what seemed to be hours looking for the right house to stay in for the night, I find a rather abandoned looking two story house towards the edge of the neighborhood.  Breaking in through a basement window, I sweep each room for undead with the aid of my new flashlight.  After clearing the house, I head straight for the attic.  Its a bit stuffy, but its the safest part of the house.  Safe to let my guard down, safe to sleep.  slowly, I begin to drift off, sleep so appealing in such a safe haven.  My last thoughts are of the bus that had left me and made my decision much easier.  What had they been thinking in the moments before they drove off?  Do they feel guilty for leaving me?  My thoughts were interrupted by a crash below, a window had imploded.  Meaning I had been spotted.  My safe haven had been intruded and now sleep was the last thing I would get.  Silently I sit in the attic, hoping they lose interest in whatever they had seen and wander back out.  I could use the sleep.

1 comment: