My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Along the ramparts

      The cool spring air fades away as I dart down the stairs and toward Brock's room.  Id rather not wake him, but this may be worth it.  Light of any kind means someone is out there.  As soon as I make my way to the sleeping quarters I begin to tiptoe as to not wake the others.  Creeping between sleeping survivors, I make my way to the door and slowly opening it, as to not make a sound.  Once the door shuts, I whisper out his name.
"Brock, Brock get up!  I got something on the roof I need you to check out."  I wait a moment to see if he responds.  I am met with a light snore, followed by silence.  Getting frustrated, I pick up a half empty waterbottle on the floor and sprinkle it on his face.  Within seconds he is swatting the air with one hand, while wiping the water off with his face with the other.
"What the hell do you think you're doing?  I just got to sleep!"  Moaning as he sits up and focuses on my figure in the darkness.
"We have lights on in a building off towards the coast.  And the dead cant make light..." I trail off hoping he would pick up on the hint.  Wiping his face off as he continued to focus his sight in the darkness he takes a moment ad sighs.  Standing up he grabs his baseball bat and begins to get dressed.
"So were going out huh?  I suppose we are going to need a few more people to come with.  Anybody else awake?"  I nod in agreement as I head to my area to grab my equipment.
       Returning to my corner, I find my cache neatly tucked away.  As I search through my bag, I realize I am running low on ammunition.  With a dissapointing sigh, I leave the shotgun there and strap my pistol and machete down before meeting back with Brock.  "Now, I dont know if the light is still there but Ill show you the building I saw it in."  Explaining as we head back up the roof.  As I make my way over towards the corner where I saw the light, I sigh in relief as it was still there.
  "Well I'll be, its still there.  Which means we have visitors."  Brock chuckles as he rubs the stubble on the side of his face.  Turning around he heads back downstairs continuing, "I'll see who is still awake, keep an eye on the building.  We leave at dawn."  And with that he headed back downstairs.  As soon as he leaves, I grab the chair and bring it to that corner and start my watch.  While I sit, I pull out the pistol and check the remaning ammunition in the clip.  Seven rounds...  Taking off my backpack, I reach in the main pocket, pulling out one of the remaining boxes and begin to reload my clip.  Slamming it back home, I begin to search for spare clips to refill.  Better safe than sorry I suppose.  Beats walking into a fight with an empty gun.  With three clips full, I reholster the gun and examine my blade under the pale moonlight.  Sharp, but adorned with nicks all along the blade.  "I really need to sharpen you, but its too late for that I guess."  Sliding it back into its case, I strap it down nice and tight.  With everything nice and secure, I turn back to the building.  Still burning bright, thats a good sign.
    I begin to feel drowsy as the first strands of daylight came from behind me, which caused a tiny tendril of fear to travel up my spine.  "Its showtime, so much for sleep."  I mutter out loud as I get up and begin to stretch.
"You know, talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity."  I hear from behind me, followed my a hearty laugh.  
"I was insane before it was cool.  We ready?"  I ask as I get up and follow them down the stairs.  As we make our way to the entrance I cant help but think of the boat on the pier.  Which isnt too far from the building we are headed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment