My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Monday, May 2, 2011

Lookout duty

     Several months pass as we silently transform the warehouse into a zombie-proof bastion.  The chain link and been reinforced with sheet metal and wood from within, the outer layer carefully laced with barbed wire.  The back yard had been turned into a make shift garden, growing what we could to replace what supplies were already within.  As I head up to the roof, I prepare for my ten hour shift as lookout for the day.  Since it had warmed up, the dead have been growing in numbers, coming from the west mainly.  I relieve Lucy from her shift,
 "Go on, get something to eat and go to sleep.  You look exhausted."  She nods, opting to grunt in agreement before slowly heading back down the stairs.  Poor woman, shes been night watch for so long.  I think ill take her shift next time so she can see daylight.  Sitting in the chair, I scan the horizons for any immediate threats, only to see a small group head north, following nothing in particular.   Their moans slowly float to the roof as I shudder.  Even to this day that noise gives me the chills.  I light up a cigarette as I walk the perimeter, taking in the deserted scenery once again.  Every time I am up here though, I seem to notice something new.  As I peer towards the coast, I can see the pier.  The thought of continuing north still burns, but I stay for some reason.  Maybe because you owe Brock your life?  Yeah, thanks for saving my life, gotta jet.  Good luck Surviving!  I try to push the though of leaving to the back of my mind for now, but cant help but notice the boat that is still attached to the dock, all alone.  Calling me to it.  
               Time passes and the sun begins to set.  Another slow day,  a blessing for us trapped within these walls.  Part of me feels like I am living in a castle, surrounded by walls and ruled by those willing to take lead. Other days like a prison.  Unable to leave, unless you wanted to be eaten alive.  The last few hours of my shift were always the worst.  When night fell, my visibility fell to a few yards past our fence.  Which meant every little sound sent me jogging over to whichever side I heard it from.  Though tonight was different.   Complete silence, not a moan or any lumbering footsteps could be heard.  But out of the corner of my eye, In a building not too far from ours, I see a flicker of light.  Like a flashlight, but as fast as it appeared it was gone.  Well, at least you have something to report today.  My sarcasm was still in check after all these years I thought as I waited for my relief.  Nothing more left to do, I light one of the few last cigarettes on my body as I wait to tell someone about the light that wasn't too far from our own location.  As I enjoy my smoke break, I hear a crack in the distance, coming from the same building.  Jumping to my feet, almost dropping my smoke, I finish it with a rather heavy drag.  Flicking the butt over the roof as I head downstairs.  Company could be heading our way soon, living or dead.  The moans were beginning to swell as they dumbly began to shuffle towards the origin of the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment