My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Turning point

        Brock steers me towards a table on the ground floor of the warehouse and tells me to stay put.  Like I could go far anyways....  After disappearing into the crowd, my mind begins to wander.  I had out for almost a week, but there is still snow outside.  Still winter, which would mean taking a boat out now would be just plain crazy.  I would want to wait until it was warm. But who knows if I can make it until then.  A lot can happen in a couple of months.  Looking back, I had been very luck to make it this far.  Some of the situations I had landed in could have turned fatal fast.  Those around me however, hadn't had the luck I so conveniently have been enjoying.  I had always survived, but at what cost?  Another persons life?  Almost every encounter I could remember with the undead, I barely made it out untouched.  Minus my last little adventure.  Deep in thought, I hadn't noticed Brock was standing behind me.  "Ahem, earth to space case, you there?"  I turn around slowly as to not bring a fresh wave of nausea, to see Brock with a woman at his side.  Damn, way to go Brock...  A bombshell of a woman, one of those who were beautiful even without makeup.  Her short brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail, making her green eyes even more visible.    "Uhh, Hi.  So you are Brock's wife?  Sorry you had to take care of me back then."  My voice was still slurring, but not as bad as earlier.    She laughs, before giving me a hug.  "You act like I hadn't had kids before.  Nothing to be worried about, name is Lucretcia.  Call me Lucy."  She had the spirit rarely seen anymore.  As if this was a minor setback, that she knew one day that all of this would be nothing but a bad memory.  Much like the Great Depression to the previous generations.
                Several hours pass as we chat about everything from the weather here in the spring to the situation outside these walls.  That's when the conversation becomes hushed whispers, with the occasional glance over the shoulders.  "After the explosion, those who were inside before they...turned, are out wandering.  The temperature is staying a little bit above freezing,  so even those who are frozen will be back up when the snow begins to melt."  Brock makes sure nobody else can hear him.  Lucretcia buts in, "So we double up the defenses, reinforce the gates before it gets any warmer.  They didn't think winter would last forever?"  Her tone switches from cheerful to a more condescending tone.  She has a point, I think to myself before I add in to the mix.  "Well, the weather is warming up.  We need to take care of the frozen ones before they get back up and come to us."  My eyes dart to the others, They are unaware of the discussion at hand, rather more interested in the moment.  As they should be, who knows when their time will be up.  His gruff whisper brought my attention back to our huddle at the table.  "What do you suppose we do?  Some of them cant fight, and sending too many of them will thin out our workforce here.  Not to mention the chance of infection coming home with the more we send out there."  Lucretcia doesn't say a word, she just stares at her husband the way a dog would at the source of a high pitched noise. Before she could say anything I manage to blurt out.  "Cant fight?!  Brock, look around you!  Everyone around you has fought to get here, Just because they made it to the safe zone doesn't mean the nightmare is over."  Suddenly my whisper becomes louder, but not laud enough to attract attention,  "They need to learn to fight if they already don't.  What happens if the warehouse is overrun, and everyone is scattered?  Are they just supposed to hide and wait for help?"  Brock looks down, as if he knew this, but didn't want to acknowledge it.  "I just cant bring myself to tell them, you know?  I promised them safety, and putting them out there is like saying I lied.  Its why I only take volunteers out with me."  I sigh, I am about to reply to that slightly flawed statement when his Lucretcia jumps back in.  "Hes right, it may not be what you want to hear, but damnit you cant protect everyone Brock!  And if you cant do it, they have to protect themselves.  We need weapons.  And someone who knows how to use them to train."  Brock gets up, but before he leaves he leaves us with one final word.  "Fine, we train them.  But for what?  For all we know we are all that's left.  Id rather just live in peace for the remainder of my life."
              After Brock leaves the table, Lucretcia scoots over and keeps the conversation going.  "Forgive him, hes got his heart in the right place, but he tends to go overboard on the whole protecting others bit."  She sighs as she watches him tread the stairs to the sleeping area.  "Well, its good to have him with us then.  But as far as training, its as simple as knowing who you are up against.  In our case they are slow, dumb, and rotting on the go."  As I get up, she grabs my hand, "So that's it?  You aren't going to help them help themselves?"  She is starting to get mad.  I have only known her for a day, but I get the feeling she isn't someone you want to anger.  "Relax, I'm getting something to eat, I'm starving.  As for the training, let me handle that."  I walk away to get a bowl of soup and could only think one thing.  Sighing as I went pick up a cup I let the last part out lout.  "Oh well, whats the worst that could happen?"  Sitting back down with my steaming soup I rejoin Lucretcia.  "So, Ill break it to them tonight, then we start tomorrow.  I'm just going to say it.  I don't think I'm the best teacher, and I don't think I can do this alone.  But I'm sure I wont be the only one in the spotlight, right?"  With an emphasis on the right, as I looked towards her.  I stand up again only to walk to the middle of the floor.  "Excuse me, everyone.  Id like to take a few minutes of your time to point a few things out that have been brought to my attention."  Suddenly every face was on me, and the room was spinning again.  This should be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment