My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Storms

    Hours passed as we walked uphill, hoping to make it to a safe place before dark.  The woman we picked up didn't trust us at all, opting to whisper to her daughter and ignore us completely.  I try to communicate, but she only stares at me.  Now, I don't mind if someone doesn't like me, but if I rescue your ass I at least want to hear a thank you. I cant take it, I look towards her and get that same stare.  I finally stop in my tracks and speak my mind "Look, I don't know what is shoved up your ass but it seems large and sharp.  Now I don't know about you but I think we saved your ass back there.  A thank you wouldn't kill you, or trying to talk to the people who rescued your ungrateful ass.   Now if we are going to continue this journey of ours, I suggest making it positive."  Turning back I continue up hill, expecting a smart remark, but I get nothing.  "Jason, you see anything up there?  We need to find a place to camp out."  I wait for a response but get nothing. Looking around I see the woman and child, who I don't know either of their names, and Jason using the scope to search the hills ahead.   Nothing, I start to lose my calm, there is nothing out here but us.  "Bingo!  We have a campsite!" Jason takes the lead, "Follow me, there's a cave up ahead!"  Picking up the pace and passing me, Jason heads towards the cave.  Behind us I can hear the rumblings of a large storm.  




     "Gather as much wood as you can and meet me back here, I'm going to take a look in the cave." Unstrapping his equipment in the mouth of the cave, he pulls out his shotgun and loads it.  Following suit I set me equipment down, opting to bring my handgun with me for protection.  Ill need the machete to gather wood.  Looking back before going to forage, I see the mother take her daughter to the cave and sit down, whispering calming words to the child.  Poor kid, shes seen things that nobody in general should ever see.  Then again that's the way this world works now.  Heading into the woods I begin my search for firewood.  The crunch of dead leaves under my feet echo all around.  Finding a rather thin tree I take my machete and begin to cut away.  Halfway through I hear the storm getting closer, the clouds in the distance  rising and getting darker.  I need to hurry.    Thunder rumbles in the distance as I land the separating blow on the trunk. Choosing to drag the tree back instead of further chopping it down I head to the cave.  Hopefully someone else had helped gather wood, If not this fire isn't lasting very long.   Returning to the camp I see its just Jason.  "Wheres Mary Sunshine and her daughter?"  I ask dragging half a tree behind me.  "Thought she went with you,  but I guess I was wrong."  Jason said, finding a ledge to climb up, setting the equipment.  "Well, the storm isn't going to be here for a while, I'm going to find some branches to throw on the fire.  Ill be back in a little bit."  Heading back out I put the machete in its sheath, pulling out my handgun.  Something didn't seem right about the woman we saved.  And I wasn't about to die at the hands of a living person,  hell no.  I came this far, and I'm going to make it home.  Even if I had to kill someone else.
     The wind picks up a bit, the smell of rain and electricity in the air.  It was going to be a big storm, and I'm glad we have shelter.  Foraging for sticks reminded me of summers as a kid, building fires and making smores.  Telling....well telling zombie stories among other scary stories.  Kind of funny looking back, I laughed as I continued to search the forest floor for sticks and dried leaves.  Thunder rumbles in the distance, This is going to have to work, I thought as I headed back to the cave entrance, a medium size bundle of sticks under my left arm, right hand aiming the pistol as I made my way back.  I couldn't shake this feeling of dread, like something horrible was about to happen.  Making my way back into the mouth of the cave I hear nothing.  No Jason, no crazy woman or her daughter, nothing.  I felt completely alone, and terrified.  I climb up on the ledge where our equipment was and begin to build the fire.  It was going to be a long night, and I needed some light to fight off whatever may come this way.  As I put the finishing touches on the stack of firewood I hear rustling outside of the cave, and I see Jason.  Shotgun in hand aiming in the cave, sweeping it for any undead.  "Hey, where the hell did you go?"  I asked looking for my lighter.  He hops up on the ledge and sets his gun down.  "I went looking for our two guests, but couldn't find them.  Its going to start raining soon."  He said pointing to the mouth, which was getting dark and cold.  "We need to get this fire built.  And to clarify, I'm not going out there when it starts.  I don't care what happens.  They should have stayed in the cave."  Stating rather coldly as I begin to light the pile of wood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment