My name is Chris, Ive lost track of time. It feels like years since I first started running, but I think its only been a few months. Days turn to weeks, and the weeks drags on, such is the new way of life. And yet, despite the violence and chaos, I dont really miss the old world...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wet

    The storm raged on outside the cave, Jason had run out to find the screamer.  Dumb idea there, but I couldn't just leave him out there.  He was there for me, and I wasn't just going to leave him out there alone.  Mind made up I grab my shotgun, and drop from the ledge.  The rain is pelting my face, making it hard to see in the dark forest.  Lightning strikes, temporarily lighting the area around me.  And I see her, the mother.  Standing alone in a clearing ahead.  "Hey, are you fucking retarded?  Get back in the cave!"  I was soaked, and angry, Jason was still nowhere to be found.  She just stands there, staring at her feet, oblivious to me or the storm.  Slowly backing away as to keep my presence unknown, I trip on a root and fall backwards.  "Unnnghh..."  Her attention fixed on me she stumbled forwards, shadows working against me.  I reach for my shotgun, I point it at her legs.  "Listen, I'm not joking around, take one step forward and ill blow your fucking legs off!" Screaming over the roar of the wind and the booming thunder.  She ignores my warning and slowly stumbles towards me, oblivious to the shotgun pointed towards her.  BOOM, Her legs disintegrate, sending her face first onto the wet forest floor, sending mud flying.
      Pulling myself up I see her crawling to my legs, snarling with hunger.  Against a tree I have nowhere to run.  About arms reach from me I raise my leg, sending my heel crashing into her skull.  For a moment I just stand there, my foot still embedded in her skull.  She had changed, but I saw no bite marks.  Staring at her as nature raged on around me I almost didn't hear the shuffling ahead of me.  The storm seems to be intensifying so I retreat to the cave, only to find Jason slumped in the corner, soaked and holding his arm.  This doesn't look good.  "Shit, are you alright?  What happened Jason?"  Looking up to me with foggy eyes, he shows me the gash in his arm.  "Shes one of them, I went to bring her in and she bit me, she fucking bit me!"  He began to sob,  he knows that bite is a death sentence.  "Oh, oh man, it looks bad.  Lets get it cleaned up."  I rip the sleeve on my shirt off and wrap it around his arm, taking great caution to not touch the wound its self.  "It... its funny.  It wasn't even half an hour ago and I'm having trouble concentrating."  His breathing becoming ragged as time passes, I know he doesn't have much longer.  "Smoke?"  I ask, handing him a cigarette, he takes it.  Lighting him up  he takes a drag, the cigarette hanging from the side of his mouth.  "Damn,  I came so far too. Stupid bitch."  His voice is weak, it came out as a plea.  "Buddy, you wont let me turn, will you?" He grabs my shirt, his grip is weak but the severity in his voice is solid.  "Of course not.  That would be a cold thing to do."    I pat him on the shoulder,  This is going to be hard to do, I don't think I could do it....

No comments:

Post a Comment